Your air conditioner may need to be repaired if you notice the following:
- Uneven or inadequate cooling throughout the home
- Strange noises or odors coming from the unit
- Constant cycling on and off
- Higher than usual energy bills
- Poor indoor air quality
- Leaking refrigerant near the indoor unit
The age of your air conditioner can also tell you whether it needs to be repaired or replaced. Most air conditioners, for example, are only designed to last around 10 to 15 years. Replacing an old AC unit with a new high-efficiency model can also reduce your repair bills and provide energy savings to offset the initial costs.